Driver's Ed

Drivers education consists of two parts.

1. The book work portion. This portion covers the curriculum set by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and The North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. 

30 Hours required 

Online Class Registration: 828-774-5681

In-Person Class Registration (takes place at school):
Direct link to TCR Registration Form: 

2. The driving portion. This is done with an instructor and at least two students in the car. NC DMV regulations state that each student must drive 6 hours with an instructor and no more than two hours a day. 

Students can not be scheduled to drive until they have filled out the Restricted Instruction Permit (RIP), with a DMV eye exam, submitted to MPI main office (

Drivers Ed & Behind the Wheel information


Once the driving portion is complete the driving instructor will give the student a completion certificate to take to the DMV license office to take the permit test.  

What to take to DMV

Appointments are required (

Students must successfully complete a written test, road sign recognition test, vision test. Test practice and review can be found at

The following documents are required to obtain a permit at the NCDMV driver license office.

  • One document (with full name) proving identity and date of birth

  • A Social Security card or one document proving they have a Social Security number

  • One document verifying physical address in North Carolina (two are required if getting an NC REAL ID)

  • For individuals not born in the U.S., one document (with full name) proving legal presence/lawful status

  • Drivers Eligibility certificate – only valid for 30 days (issued by high school)

  • Driver's Education Completion Certificate

Note: An individual's name must match the name on the documents above. Otherwise, they must provide a proof of name change, such as a certified marriage license or certificate, divorce decree or document from the courts or Register of Deeds.

To receive a Driving Eligibility Certificate, an individual must be:

Between 15 and 17 years old

Currently enrolled in school

Making progress toward a high school diploma or GED (One the student completes the GED or graduates from another institution, he/she no longer needs an Eligibility Certificate)

**Students attending school outside North Carolina can obtain a Driving Eligibility Certificate from the local school system central office in which they have permanent residence. The local education agency determines what evidence is needed (typically a transcript) to verify an out of state student's Driving Eligibility. 

**Homeschool students may request an eligibility certificate from the NC Dept. of Non Public Education (