School History
      
 

TCR crest

 

The History of

TC Roberson High School

TC Roberson High School, a consolidation of Valley Springs High School and Biltmore High School, opened its doors to students of the surrounding communities of Skyland, Arden, Avery's Creek, and Biltmore on August 24, 1962. The school was named in honor of the former superintendent of Buncombe County Schools who served from 1935 until 1969. The achievement of the countywide consolidation program, the construction of many modern school buildings, and the improvement of the instructional program are some of the accomplishments attributed to Mr. Roberson during his term of office.

Today T. C. Roberson serves approximately 1525 students throughout grades 9 - 12. Constructed at a cost of $700,000.00, the original building afforded facilities for 700 students.
 

The brick building included a small auditorium seating 250; a library; a cafeteria; areas for business, mathematics, science, social studies, English and foreign language classrooms; and an administrative section. In 1965, a gymnasium-auditorium was constructed, costing approximately $350,000. Mr. Anthony Lord of Six Associates of Asheville served as chief architect. A consolidated vocational area for a child care laboratory facility, agriculture, and trade and industrial arts was incorporated with new addition in 1984.

In 1993, the renovation of T. C. Roberson High School began with a three phase operation, which incorporated three buildings into one. Many buildings were renewed, while others were razed and then reconstructed. Areas of renovation included the gymnasium, the cafeteria, the counseling offices, the vocational department, the English department, and conversion of the art/band area into the weight room, and the Little Theatre into the art room.

The new construction included administrative offices, media center, math department, health occupations, home economics, science department, and the performing arts center with its band, chorus, and theatre. The total cost of this renovation and construction was approximately $7,450,000. An addition to T. C. Roberson High School was the advent of the Progressive Education Department at a cost of approximately $4,639,000.

By the beginning of the 2003 - 2004 school year,another construction addition gave us eight new classrooms, a new auxiliary gym, teacher offices and assistant principal office, more storage for our ROTC program, and new restrooms. This new addition gave us a little more room to expand. T. C. Roberson now has an area of 261,000 sq.ft.

At the start of the 2007-2008 school year the newest construction project was completed.  With the need of more room in the cafeteria and the growth of the student body, the cafeteria was expanded by 250 seats and a new wing with 18 classrooms, known as the "Freshman Academy",  was added onto the school.  T.C. Roberson incorporated the FIRST Freshman Academy in Buncombe County Schools with this new building.
 
Mr. Guy L. Ensley was principal of the school from its opening until 1969. Mr. Charles Koontz was principal from 1969 to 1982. Mr. Malcolm Brown became principal and served until 1988. Dr. Karen Campbell served as principal from 1988 to 1991, with Mr. Koontz returning as the interim principal for the school year of 1991. Mr. Richard E. Greene served as the principal from 1991 to 1996. Mrs. Caroline Shorter was principal from 1996 to 1999. Dr. Lenda Sprague served as the principal for one school year from 2000 to 2001.  Mr. George Drake, began his tenure in 2001 and remained until 2004, Rob Weinkle served from June of 2004 until 2010. Mr. Gayland Welborn served as principal during the 2010 - 2011 school year. Mrs. Amy Rhoney served as principal from July 2011 until June 2016. Bonnie Johnston became principal in July 2016 and is the current principal.

 


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.